Tuesday, June 28, 2011

New (old) French Vanity



Hi everyone!  I hope you are having a great week.

Last Saturday Steve and I drove four hours round trip for me to bid on a wonderful French vanity. I saw this vanity Thursday evening in an email I receive weekly from a local auction. This particular auction was being held in a very rural part of Virginia and they were selling lots of farm equipment and tools from an estate. 

The home was a lovely antebellum style built in 1880 and had the most gorgeous pine floors and woodwork.  There was little furniture left to be auctioned since the owner had moved to Virginia Beach after her husband passed away three years ago.  

That was okay with me because I had my eye on one piece... one piece only!   I was determined that this fabulous antique French vanity was meant to be mine. I forewarned my husband that he may want to walk away when the vanity came up for auction because I was determined not to leave without it at any cost!


You see, I have wanted a vanity for several years but never found one that I fell in love with...until last week. Luckily, I have a wonderful husband that knows when I set my mind to something it very rarely changes and didn't even blink when I said I wanted to drive four hours to attend an auction.  

The first hour and a half they auctioned off artwork, decorative items and some antique furniture. I was hoping that not many antique dealers would drive the distance for the auction. There were quite a few people but many of them appeared to be farmers there to bid on the equipment which was exactly what I had hoped for.  The furniture was going so cheap!  One beautiful French armoire went for $50, a gorgeous brass bed sold for $80 and a huge antique bookcase went for $40. 

Finally the vanity came up for bids and I only had one person bidding against me.  I was able to buy this beautiful piece for.....




$65.00  Yippee!

She will be getting a new paint job because the finish is not in the best condition.  The light spot on the top is actually a shadow.  I already have the plastic down and the weights are holding it in place.  I knew those hand weights would come in handy for something!  They sure haven't been used around here for exercise.

We left as soon as I won the vanity. We stopped for lunch then hit a couple of antique malls in the area before heading home.

You may remember our bed.

See the caning and the curves?  I think the vanity will be perfect in our bedroom.  So what is your favorite auction purchase?

On another note.

I was recently introduced to a great new hand sanitizer.  Prefense sanitizes skin and nails on contact and offers protection from germs for up to 10 hand washings. I have very dry skin and I love that Prefense has no alcohol to dry out my hands further. The product actually contains a silica complex of organic botanicals to prevent drying and redness.  I must say my hands felt very smooth for hours after using Prefense.  It seems every time we fly or go on an extended trip I catch some type of bug.  I will definitely be taking this product with me on our upcoming trip.

The Open House party will be up and ready for you to link to Wednesday evening.  See you there.
xo,
Sherry

I am partying this week with:





Disclosure:  I was given a bottle of Prefense for my personal use and  to write a product review.  I received no monetary compensation and the review is based solely on my honest opinion of the product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post