Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Even Guest Rooms Need a Little Spiffing Up...

The smallest room in our house and the most unused room in our house is our guest room.

This room also has a pull down attic in it which leads to some sort of air conditioning something.  Not very pretty, but obviously necessary.

When we first moved into the house over ten years ago, I found a small scale bedroom suit at an antique auction that fit perfectly.

I recently bought a very simple white comforter at TJ Maxx for the bed and am happily using it until something else a little fluffier and maybe rufflier can be afforded.

Yesterday after Faith and I finished school, a few things started happening...

First, I walked by the guest room and took a peek in...
Then...
My heart started racing...
I started feeling a little clammy...
I got to feeling a little antsy...
And, yep, you got it...I had to start tweaking in the guest room.

Nothing real big, mind you.  This girl is on a budget, but I knew I had a few things I could play around with.

So here is what I did...

My first little project was to take an old shutter that I found on a sidewalk of a building being renovated and take all the slats out because they were falling out.  I also gave it a quick coat of Heirloom White spray paint.



I added a couple of the slats back in and got this neat little thing...



Next project was this frame that I had stored away in my attic waiting on something to be done with it...


This frame got turned into this that I love...



Do you remember my washtub?  Still LOVE it!



I decided to use a few pops of green just to fall it up a little.

I had an old velvet ladies hat that came out and made its little debut on the bedpost along with some pretty green pillow cases.  Can you see them tucked in the back?




I also layed my afghan made by my step mother on the little wooden rocker.  Not only does it add a little warmth with texture and color, but it can certainly be used if we do have a winter night's guest.



Can you see how dainty this little dresser is?  It fits perfectly in this size room.


Of course, part of the fun is seeing what you can do to your table tops. 

I played around a little with this and that and came up with this...


A little closer look...

The little green urn used to have a flower arrangement on top.  Not so pretty.

The cloche is part of a Precious Moments clock that my hubby gave me years ago that I don't really use anymore but would never get rid of.  And, the flowers were a little keepsake bouquet.


I love tucking little momentos here and there.

Can you see the little pearl earrings and the pipe ?

Those belonged to my grandmother and grandfather.

Sweet to me...



The little glasses belonged to my grandmother also.



Have to show you my metal cart again...on wheels, no less...

It sits at the foot of the bed with a couple of magazines and photos on top and a blanket and basket of guest "goodies" on bottom, just in case something is forgetton.



Now for the picture that I tried and tried to get and couldn't get the light to do right. 

(I  am such an unprofessional photographer)

This is an attempt at showing you the whole bedroom with good lighting...NOT.



Another try...



Small bedroom but filled with lots of things I love to share with people that I love...

Our family and our friends who are always welcome in our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post