Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Easy Crock Pot Apple Butter For Your Fall and Winter Mornings

I have been eager to share a new recipe I just tried that my family is loving.

To start off, I want to show you where we went on Sunday after church.


A mile from our house is an awesome apple orchard that has been around for about forty years.



These are those times that I will cherish forever because my whole family went apple picking.



We picked 60 lbs of apples.

I know they are not as pretty as the grocery store apples, but these are straight from the trees and, in my opinion, are beautiful because of all there blemishes.

Just in case you are interested in the price of apples around here, they were $7.00 per 20 lbs.  Yep, $21.00 for all those apples.

Why so many apples?

The main reason I got so many is because my oldest daughter and I LOVE apple butter and we buy it often.

Now instead of buying it, I will be pulling it off of my shelf in my jar that I canned.

Let me tell you how I made it in case you would like to try it yourself.

The recipe I used is for crock pot apple butter.

You will need:

approximately 3 lbs apples
3 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cloves
Dash of salt
3/4 cup water

Fill crock pot 3/4 full of peeled, cored sliced apples.  Add remaining ingredients and stir until evenly mixed.  Cover and cook on low overnight.  If butter has too much liquid, remove lid and cook on high until of desired consistency.



This is what it looks like after it has cooked all night.  (actually the apples were still in pieces but very soft, so I used a potato masher and mashed them up)

To can the apple butter, check canning guides you have, but I canned mine in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

This is what I got after several crock pots full...



Can I just tell you that this stuff tastes incredible?

I know I made it, but I used someone else's recipe, so it's not bragging, right?

The first morning I made it, my family came downstairs to hot bisquits and hot apple butter straight from the crock pot. 

OH MY!!!

What's great is that I have lots more apples, so I plan on making lots more of this yummy stuff to hopefully last us quite a while.

The first day we got the apples, my daughter made an apple pie, I baked some, put some in the freezer and just plain old ate some.

I would love to know if you try this recipe and what you think about it. 

ENJOY, MY FRIENDS, ENJOY!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post