Monday, September 26, 2011

Adding Fall With DIY Chalk Paint


I am really enjoying seeing all of your Fall decorating and I had to get busy adding Fall to our house.

  Many of you know our family room is already decorated in Fall colors with the green walls and painted faux leather ceiling.  Though I do love the room this time of year, the dark colors make it hard to get a decent picture.  Add the overcast days and there is no chance of a good picture.

I couldn't wait any longer to show you what I have been up to.
See the new mirrors?




In the picture below you can see how the colors on the mirrors tie in with the ceiling.


Below is how the mirrors looked when I bought them.  I knew the black frames would have to go so they were painted with the homemade chalk paint.  No sanding or priming and two coats covered the black shellac finish.


Here is another victim of the DIY chalk paint.


The $3.00 GW urn above is plaster and had a high gloss paint finish originally.  I painted it with white paint mixed with calcium carbonate.  I must say the calcium carbonate powder is my favorite additive just because it is a finer powder than Plaster of Paris. Several of you have asked where I bought it and here is the link Swanson Vitamins.

I wanted the urn to look like an old terracotta one so I mixed some brown and orange craft paint and added it in spots to look like it had been chipped.  In the picture the spots look red but in person they are  terracotta colored.  Ralph Lauren Smoke glaze was applied and quickly wiped off.


I made an arrangement for the dining room using things I already had.  The gourds tied to
a rope are a favorite and they were purchased at Michaels after Thanksgiving sale last year.


I added this simple arrangement on our kitchen table using a wine basket and large pine cones.

I hope you enjoyed seeing the new paint projects and Fall decor.  I'll see you Wednesday evening for the Open House Party.

I'll be partying with:

xo,
Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post