Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Room Mom

Y’all, I am so very excited to be room mom for the PCP’s class this year!!  You see, last year I no earthly idea how you’d score a job like this and to say I was slightly devastated when the teacher announced her room mom would be an understatement.  So, at our Meet & Greet this year, I immediately sought out the sign up sheet and scrawled my name on it as fast as I could.

I’ve attended my training (can you believe there is such a thing??) and have met with Mrs. B to find out her needs and expectations for the year.  I’ve collected class dues, put together a directory, been in to take pictures for their teddy bear reading day aaaaaand set up a class web page.  Whew!  I’m thinking it should be downhill from here, right?!?!

So, while I’m sure this room mom gig is old hat for many of you out there, in the event that you’re a first timer like me, I thought I’d share some of the details of the aforementioned tasks.

Directory:
I collected for each student their name, phone number, address, subdivision, parents names and e-mails and their approval to list it in the directory.  I compiled it all in an excel sheet along with some of Mrs. B’s favorite things and distributed it back to the class.  If you’d like the file, just email me and I’m happy to share!
directory1 directory2
Class Web Site:
Shutterfly has the best class sites – for FREE!  Look here for more information.   It was pretty easy to set up and will be a great resource for volunteer activities, sharing pictures and keeping the calendar straight.
Home Page
classsite1
Calendar
classsite2
Picture and Video Sharing
classsite3
Class List
classsite4
Sign Ups for Field Trips, Class Events, etc.
classsite5

And I couldn’t hardly leave you without a pic I snapped of the PCP reading with “his” Braves bear.  If you recall, this is actually the baby’s friend that he proudly adopted at Build-a-Bear.  It was quite a shock to said baby when he got to brother’s class and saw his bear…
August 2012 596
So, there you have it… I’ve shared 100% of my meager knowledge on being class mom.  I’m sure there will be more to come throughout the year :-)
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post