Monday, May 31, 2010

Crusty, Rusty DIY

This is a DIY project where you can take almost anything and give it a old, crusty, rusty appearance. I chose a $2.00 lamp to experiment on.  This is what I was going for:



This was a make it up as I go project. First I started with a shiny brass lamp I found for $2.00 at a junk store. Of course, I started painting before I  remembered the camera.


First I spray painted the lamp two coats of white.



Next I took craft paint in Burnt Umber and Brick Red and dry brushed these colors on the lamp. I was trying to achieve a rusty appearance. You want to leave some of the white showing.



At this point I am thinking this is the ugliest thing and I should just abandon this project!  It could not look any worse so I decided to persevere. Next I took wall Spackle and randomly applied it to the lamp. I started out using a small trowel but found out it worked better using my fingers. Leave areas of the dark paint showing.
Just play with the Spackle until you get a look you are happy with.  Below is the final result.



And another close up.


If you wanted a smoother appearance use your dampened  finger to smooth while the Spackle is still wet. You can also lightly sand when dry.


I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day. We celebrated yesterday with our son and family. Our community pool opened this weekend and the grandchildren had so much fun swimming. Afterwards we had a cookout at our house.  It was a fun time and good food.

Drop by the following parties and look at all the projects and goodies for this week.


Hugs,
Sherry


No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post