Monday, January 14, 2013

Confit and Olive Jars



I hope you had a good weekend.

I have always had this "thing" for confit pots and olive jars, even before
they became so popular.  My first purchase was from a flea market over 
twenty five years ago.  I probably paid about $15.00 for the first pot. 

Confit pots were originally used in the South of France to store meat
and other perishable food. They would be filled and then buried in the
ground to keep the food cool. 

The antique pots have now become very expensive and a lot harder 
to find.  I have seen rare ones priced as high as $900 and others 
normally sell from $185 and up, depending on condition.  Fortunately
there are reproductions that can be bought at a fraction of the price.
No, they do not have the charm of the antiques but many are still very
pretty and look great in a French Country style home.

Recently Steve and I stopped in downtown Winter Park for lunch on the
way to take him to the airport.  Winter park is such a cute town with great
shops and restaurants.  We went to a French outdoor cafe for lunch and guess
what was across the street?   A Pottery Barn!  

Pottery Barn had this yellow confit  pot at 70% off.  How could I resist?


The dark olive jar was found at the same flea market where I bought the 
giant clam shell.  I couldn't believe an antique dealer was selling the jar for
$10.00.  Between this purchase and the clam shell bargain I was dancing on air! 



Below are just a few photos of my confit pot collection, both new and antique.


  



These are just a few of my collection. Sorry,  I can't find pictures of all the pots. 
I currently have four antique confits and three reproductions.  

Before I leave I want to share a picture of my favorite olive jar. 


This is just one of my many collections...you didn't think the name of
my blog was a coincidence?  

To see more Confit pots check out my Pinterest Board,  French Country.
I would love for you to follow me while there. 

What do you collect? 

Thanks to everyone that joined the Open House party last week and
I hope to see you Wednesday evening for this weeks party.

Hugs,
Sherry

Linking to:





  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Releated Post